Making Soft Dolls

Early this year, I started making a doll from fabric because last year I was obsessed with rag dolls. I had been searching for and looking at them until I decided to make some, as this was the way to stop thinking about them. It was quite hard at the beginning. My first doll was made by hand, which took a week to put together. After that I got my first sewing machine. I had no idea how to use it. I remember my mom always used it to fix clothes and make pajamas for me. Back then I didn't have any interest in sewing. Time changes, people change (me as well). As soon as I got a sewing machine, I made a pattern for my doll's body. It took awhile to get the right body ratio. I used unbleached muslin for the body. For the head, I started with a circle. Then I put stuffing in, making sure that it was round. I didn't like it to be flat. After I was pleased with the shape, I sewed the back of the head together (like a ball). Now it was time for a face. I drew the on face with a magic marker which easily disappears after using water. 

face

I embroidered along the marker line using 100% cotton embroidery floss. I scraped a soft pastel on a sand paper and applied pastel dust on the doll cheek with a dry paint brush. Now my doll looked cute. I made the body, arms and legs, put the stuffing in and sewed them together. I read "The Making of a Rag Doll" by Jess Brown, a very informative book. She recommended corn fiber stuffing because its denseness helps fill in space. I used both corn fiber and polyester stuffing. They had different pros and cons. One thing that I didn't like about corn fiber stuffing was that it was very dusty. Working with this material irritated my nose and my throat. When I sewed to close the opening, it was fine. You don't need to worry about the fiber dust. I didn't have theatkind of problem with polyester stuffing. The only issue was it was very fluffy so it took a lot to fill in the space. It was also hard to put it in the body with a chopstick because a chopstick always went through the stuffing. At this point, I have a naked body without hair. I made a dress and sewed it over my doll. The dress wasn't removable. The final step was putting hair on.

P1150674.JPG

It was tricky to make Miss Bumble B. More steps were required. I made antennae with wire and black wool. I wrapped them together with black thread. The hardest part was body embroidery. I could do only one body a day. In At the end of the day, I couldn't feel my hand. 

P1150746.JPG

Miss Bumble B's wings were made from nylon stocking and decorated with black felt in a heart shape for hiding the thread (and cuteness).

P1160620.JPG

Here is the group picture of bee family. I made two bees in black hair and black wings, which turned out great. I love them so much. I will have eleven bees on sale.  

P1160752.JPG

This is a group picture of Alice, inspired by Alice in Wonderland, my all time favorite. Her dress's color is varied because I ran out of fabric. I will have eleven Alice available; four in blue felt dress, five in turquoise dress, one in blue cotton dress and one in seagull pattern dress. 

P1160878.JPG

Myriam is the first from these three characters that I designed. She has a very big bow on her head. I made her hair from yarn and wool. Eleven Myriam will be available soon; four with mohair yarn hair and seven with orange wool hair.  

P1160998.JPG

At this point, I am really proud of myself. I spent about two months to make all these dolls. They were made with love and care. I consider them as my art and my baby (my creation). After I sell all of my dolls, I might consider making a full tutorial on these types of dolls. If you are interested, please let me know in a comment on this post. I will move on to a new project. Stay tuned! !!